The Egmont Key Alliance

The Lighthouse

 

Characteristics: White light that flashes every 15 seconds.
Height: 76 feet, 99 steps
Day Mark: White conical tower
History: Constructed 1857-1858. First Lighted May 1858.
Lens: Original: Third-order fixed Fresnel lens; Henry-LePaute (1858). Present: DCB-24 electric rotating beacon.
Construction: Architect: Augustus Angstrom. Masonry conical tower constructed of Brick, concrete and iron
Other Buildings: Radio and generator building, oil storage house, modern staff quarters.
Operated by: United States Coast Guard and Florida Park Service

Description:
The small island of Egmont Key in Tampa Bay was named by the British after the Earl of Egmont, who at the time was Lord of the Admiralty. Florida became part of the U.S. in 1821, and with the increase in commerce in the Gulf of Mexico a lighthouse was built on Egmont Key in 1847-1848. The light was first lighted in 1848, but after only 10 years it was so battered by storms that in 1858 it was dismantled.

 

A second tower was built in 1857-1858 and lighted in May 1858. This tower was built with brick walls more than three feet thick, and stood 87 feet tall including the lamp house. Though this tower has survived a century and a half of hurricanes and storms, it's lamp house was eventually removed and was replaced with a modern beacon light, leaving the tower with a rather unusual appearance. Even so, the Egmont Key Lighthouse remains in service to this day.
The lighthouse can be reached only by boat, with ferry service available from the Fort De Soto State Park.

 

The Egmont Key Alliance is a 501 (c) (3) Non-profit Corporation

P.O. Box 66238 St. Pete Beach, FL 33736

info@egmontkey.info

.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software